I've included additional information below that reinforces the importance of computer science, programming, and coding in our schools (excerpt from P. Meade Presentation to the School Board, March 9, 2017).
Why should students have the opportunity to learn programming?
- Creativity- Computer Science is an incubator for innovation and inspiration. Students are encouraged to think beyond their normal parameters and ask themselves, “What if?”
- Collaboration- Not all work should be done alone. The best technology comes from a series of diverse viewpoints. We have to use the flow of “give and take” when working with others to bring out the best in everyone.
- Communication- Students must be able to express their ideas, understand the requirements being presented to them, and estimate how much work it will take to complete a job.
- Critical Thinking- When a student masters problem solving, they master life!
- Persistence- Never give up! No seriously, don’t do it! A challenge is an opportunity for us to show how dedicated we are to finding a solution.
- Growth Mindset- Children are taught that a “fail” is a First Attempt In Learning- Answers are not always found on the first try so sometimes we must learn from our mistakes and grow from them.