|General Via Speaking to Students at Bassett High School|
- It all starts with education!
- Find your passion and become and expert in it.
- You must work hard every day because there are no shortcuts in life.
- Success is where preparation and opportunity meet.
- It is important to always be a good person and a good friend.
- Good manners can take you far in life.
|General Via with BHS Assistant Principals R. Proffitt and T. Gravely|
In addition to his powerful message to students, I was also impressed with his commitment to thanking those who supported him during his youth in Henry County. He talked about individual teachers and counselors who had a profound impact on his life. It reminded me of the power a teacher, counselor, bus driver, custodian, and/or cafeteria worker can have on the life of a child. Everyone in the school division has a unique opportunity to have a positive impact on a child each day. At any time, any one of us can be the "caring adult" who changes the path for a child's future. You never know how your kind words, warm smile, high expectations, or unwavering support can change the course of a student's life. This was a powerful reminder for me as an educator. Thank you, General Via for your visit and your powerful message to students and staff. We look forward to welcoming you back to HCPS in the future. You are a true hero in our eyes!
|Goal 5: Family and Community Engagement|