Tuesday, October 28, 2014

The Marching Bengals: Excellence in Action!

Marching Bengals Entertain at Drums Along the Blue Ridge
I had the opportunity to see the Marching Bengals present their exhibition performance at the Drums Along the Blue Ridge event this past weekend.  The performance was incredible!  I was inspired by the professionalism, work ethic, and talent displayed by our students.  I saw previous performances during half-time at football games this season, but this was the first time I saw it all come together with completed props, choreography, and new band uniforms.  I attempted to take a quick picture (displayed here), without missing any part of the performance.  As I left Bassett High School that evening, I reflected on the powerful performance.  Based on the roar from the crowd, I could tell that everyone else was as inspired as I was.  I was reminded of the fact that students learn so much from participating in band.  These skills will serve our students well beyond high school.  The students should be proud of their accomplishment.  I was also encouraged by the support from our parents and community.  This is a great example of how our community comes together to support students.  I'm looking forward to their continued success.  Way to go Marching Bengals!

Goal 1: High Quality Instruction
Goal 5: Family and Community Engagement

2 comments:

  1. I, also, was at the Drums Along the Blue Ridge event in late October. I’ve been going every year since the fall of 2000. My husband and I are both Bassett High School Marching Bengals Band alumni. We graduated in the late 70’s!! The band, then was setting the foundation of what it is today! Mr. Harris often reminds his band students of that fact. The “ancestors” of Bassett’s band have been bringing the community years of proud accomplishments and inspiration! Our band director of the 1970’s and 80’s tries to come every fall to at least one football game just to see the band’s performance (Mr. Ken Richardson).
    My husband and I were also a part of the 21st century ‘band family’ with our own children. Our son (’04) and daughter (’08) would never give up the years they spent in that hard ‘work ethic’, teaching them leadership skills, perseverance, self-discipline, and patience...things they use today in their own jobs. It’s more than learning and having a talent to play a musical instrument. It's skills you take with you beyond high school and carry with you for life! The professionalism they are taught makes them good productive citizens.
    My husband and I still talk about and occasionally speak with our ‘band family’. You literally become family because of the amount of time you spend with one another and the tears you shed with each other has your children grow up together and spread their wings. We would never give up those years either!
    I was moved by Dr. Cotton's blog and would like to thank him for taking the time to attend the event as well as writing about it to the community. It helps to see those that take notice, especially those who are community leaders.
    To the band members: All of that blood, sweat and tears is about to pay off! We’re praying for you in your travels and for a proud performance this weekend in Indianapolis, IN at the Bands of America National Competition!
    Those times were/are exciting and very memorable, also!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment and your ongoing support for the Marching Bengals. This is a big week for them and we wish them the best at nationals. I know the students' hard work will pay off.

      Delete