Thursday, October 9, 2014

Student Advisory Meeting


List of Strengths for HCPS
Last week, I had the opportunity to meet with the HCPS Student Advisory for the first meeting of the year.  I must admit that this is my favorite group to meet with during the year.  Certainly, it is important for me to meet with all stakeholders throughout the school year, but I would argue that this is an extremely important group to meet with because our students are directly impacted by decisions that are made at the central office level.  As I have said many times, our students are are most important customers!

During the meeting, I asked student representatives to work in groups to discuss strengths and challenges for our school division.  I was impressed with the list that they developed.  Students highlighted such things as access to technology, focus on safety, athletics, and diversity as particular strengths for our school division.  They even discussed the school division dress code as a strength.  I am very encouraged by the feedback that the students provided because many of our improvements in these areas are the direct result of student feedback from previous years.

Student Advisory Members Collaborating
I am also looking forward to the work that this group will accomplish this year.  Rather than simply providing input on school division initiatives or issues, I always encourage the student advisory group to take on a challenge each year.  This helps to encourage student leadership and provides the students with a sense of accomplishment at the end of the year.  Last year, the group decided to focus on ways to create innovative, 21st century learning spaces.  Feedback from last year's advisory group is being utilized to create innovative learning spaces as a part of our strategic plan, EnVision 2018.   This year, the students have decided to work on professional development for teachers.  Students want to help teachers understand the unique needs of today's learners.  I'm looking forward to learning more about their specific ideas at our next meeting.  Certainly, this group is a great example of the caliber of students we have in HCPS!

Goal 1: High Quality Instruction
Goal 2: High Quality Professionals



No comments:

Post a Comment